Tuesday, October 2, 2012

How Do I Love Thee: Patterning


     Patterns are the essence of figurative language. They are what make figurative language so unique and special. Various patterns can be formed and found through working with words. Poetry, for example, is filled with patterns. Some are more difficult to decipher than others. One concrete and common example of a pattern in this content area related to language arts is alliteration. This is a popular type of language used quite frequently by writers, and for many different reasons. After some careful consideration and time spent interacting with the course readings, I chose to focus on alliteration for my work on this module.


     Alliteration is best defined as the repetition of the same beginning letter, sound, or group of sounds in a series of words. Common ways alliteration can be used is within works of poetry, jokes, riddles, and tongue twisters. My original thoughts about patterns had me thinking of all of the various examples of alliteration that I knew. I considered what I have taught in my classroom throughout the years. I then started to think of a different way to represent my view of alliteration, one that my students could appreciate and understand. At first I had some trouble with this, and I was stumped. How could I re-pattern an already existing pattern to make it more interesting, yet still meaningful for the classroom? After taking some time to revisit the readings and brainstorm some more I had a plan in mind. I needed to create a tangible visual, so I turned to Prezi for help with representing my ideas.

     The presentation of my re-patterned topic is simply a new way to look at alliteration and some of its key uses in writing. I used appropriate images and engaging examples of phrases related to alliteration in my work. Even though the presentation may seem simple enough, it took time to compose my thoughts and arrange them in a way that made sense. I made sure to be careful about my word choices, and I also revisited and edited my work. I think these new ideas could aid my students in a better understanding of how this type of figurative language can be utilized for creative purposes in their own writing.  

     Patterns really are everywhere. Some are more apparent than others, for example, in math, where they may be more obvious when it comes to solving a problem.  Through my work on this module, I have noticed that some patterns may be more difficult to detect, even though they are there. I have come to find that it does take significant time and practice to notice them. Maybe I have grown accustomed to these repeating patterns in everyday life. I am still applying the ideas I have gained through the readings and using these thoughts to learn the best way to recognize and form patterns. Recognizing a pattern can be valuable because it can allow you to see things in a whole new light. It is not an easy task, so we must challenge ourselves to think differently. In regards to patterns, “Like a good riddle, each nonsense at any age may be a nuisance that reveals a new sense” (Sparks of Creativity, pg. 114). I agree!

Click the link to visit my work:  Re-patterned Topic

No comments:

Post a Comment